Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Assignment 2








Alrighty! There are the official pictures I have chosen to use for the D.o.f. and  motion series.
#1. The Brick Wall - I actually caught this one accidentally. I was trying to take a picture of something else and snapped this in the process. I really liked it anyway.
 #2. Taken at the museum, in the Nathan Bedford Forest state park. I really liked the way I was able to make the reds and black stand out in the photo. And I'm partial to checkers and chess.
#3. Taken at the Belhaven Vs. Bethel football game. I think I was using a shutter speed a little faster than 1 second, but somewhere between 1/2 second and 1 second. I liked that I got the field in focus but not the players.
#4.Belhaven vs. Bethel again, but this time, I was working on getting still shots. I particularly like that I got more than one person in motion here and there are all kinds of poses going on. Shutter speed was pretty fast, so I had to open the aperture up for this one.
#5.Fire Blur - I love sittin-fires. You know, the ones where you sit around a fire all night and talk with your friends and family and catch up? Yeah. Love them. So, I really wanted to try working with a small fire. I only left the shutter open for about a second here, maybe a little more. Believe it or not, the camera caught the colors just like that. I really liked how they were, so, I've done no color editing.
#6. Fire Still - Same fire as previous, but I speed the shutter way up and tried to open the aperture just a wee bit. Just enough that I didn't lose the glow from the fire.
#7. Nut on Stump - Working on some depth of field here. One of my first experiments with it, and this was one of the first ones that I liked. I had to do some work on the colors here because we hadn't learned about ISO yet. So, edited with some GIMP there.
#8. Swings - this may be my favorite one. I really like the colors and contrasts here.  I was struggling with getting things closer to the lens to blur, and this was my real breakthrough. Did a little bit of color editing here, but not a ton.

Out of  all, it goes between swings, fire blur and fire still for strongest for me. *sigh* I think I'll go with fire still....wait...maybe swings....no...go for FIRE STILL. I struggled with colors there. So, 1, 2, 3, GO!

3 comments:

  1. Tristen, I love your creative approaches with each assignment. I love the fire images! The nut on the stump great DOF image! I love on the swings image how you have captured blur first then sharp focus unlike my images tend to only have background blur so awesome work on that! Oh and the football image capturing motion blur that's good too. Overall I understand the struggle to pick because you have some really great images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your entire series is completely stunning and you did a really good job with capturing the DOF and Motion concepts, you made it look effortless, whereas, for me, I struggled hardcore! Excellent work, but if I had to choose I would choose the last two images as my favorites and the fire images are a close second. :) Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tristen,
    Um...well...WOW! These images are doing a nice job of demonstrating both DOF and motion (both by freezing and blurring motion) AND the color is really good in all but maybe the 1st image (which is only ever so slightly grayer than the others). You should be proud of these! Pat yourself on the back (or find someone to do it for you) and hold your head high!

    ReplyDelete