Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Final - "Abandoned"


Abandoned

                I grew up mostly in rural Carroll County located in West Tennessee. There are not a whole lot of activities for younger people in the area, so I spent a lot of my time exploring the area with my family and finding little interesting locations that are not really main attractions. However, they certainly become main attractions to me as I explore and learn what I can from the site itself. Different areas can have different emotions as well. Was it something that was once so lovingly taken care of and now lays in ruin? Or was it something that is just tired and worn out? What’s even more special is that it then becomes a part of my history.

                One of my biggest interests has always been history. I enjoy learning the history, but I enjoy experiencing it and seeing it even more. I have always wanted to share that excitement with others, so I chose to do so for this series. My largest influence for this project has been Christopher Crawford, followed by Troy Paiva, and then John Thomas Grant for when it comes to cemeteries and other monuments.

                To create these photos, I traveled to different areas of rural Carroll County where there has been manmade structures abandoned, neglected, or forgotten. I created a series of 10 photos using the best material I have shot. I have desaturated the photos in black and white to help create the moods that I am feeling as I was taking the photos and exploring the area.


2 comments:

  1. I love the series and story/reasoning behind the series also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. Solid, for all of the reasons mentioned in class. The one image that is perhaps a bit compositionally flat is the one of the single-wide trailer. Otherwise, nice nice nice.

    A-

    ReplyDelete